Sunday, July 10, 2011

Bon Iver

Things have been extremely complicated over the past few months. I don't want to get too detailed because I don't know if I can. Khim, to whom this blog is and always will be dedicated, passed away in May. She is so missed, but I take comfort in knowing she is in heaven, free from pain. I will always love her, and everything I write here will be for her.

I don't want to write about one song today. I want to recommend an entire album: Bon Iver's self titled album that was released a few weeks ago. "Perth", "Holocene", "Calgary"...just to name a few favorite songs. Every one of them evokes a different emotion inside of me that I'm unsure there are adequate adjectives to describe them. I feel unsure; I feel excitement; I feel joy; I feel sadness. The lyrics are, as always, abstract. But it's the music itself that captures me. It's one of the most beautiful albums I've heard all year, and I recommend it with all my heart to anyone who truly enjoys such simplicity, yet utterly complex sound. It's a contradiction, but such a stunningly beautiful one and the only way I can honestly explain it.

Listen to "Perth", the first song on the album, here: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iIluBvQ77Bk

No comments:

Post a Comment