Friday, June 5, 2009

Nightwish - "Over the Hills and Far Away"

My little sister doesn't realize I listen to other albums by Nightwish besides their Once album. Just because Once is my favorite, doesn't mean I don't love others.

"Over the Hills and Far Away" is an earlier Nightwish song and it's just plain amazing. One of my favorite things about Nightwish (besides Tarja Turunen) is the fact that their songs, such as this one, tell stories. Their lyrics are really simple stories, but they make such an impact. They take me to a completely different universe, so to say, because their songs/stories have this fantasy, mythical vibe that make you think of heroes and magic and supernatural creatures.

Tarja Turunen, the singer of this song, is no longer a part of Nightwish. She's the lead on most of the albums they have out, but they've since replaced her with Anette Olzon (I think in 2007). Anette is a strong, decent singer, but she doesn't hold a candle to Tarja. Really, not many do. The woman is an incredible vocalist, which you can plainly hear if you listen.

I'm definitely a fan of this symphonic metal stuff, and this song has all the things I like in an epic song: Amazing singing, awesome lyrics, and a powerful chorus. One of the things I love most is a song that's going along and you're interested, you're thinking "Okay, I can get behind this", and all of a sudden you hear the chorus and it blows your socks off.

That's what this song does for me.

My favorite part of this song? 3:24 to 3:38, and you'll know why.

Check out "Over the Hills and Far Away" on youtube: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ylhrQewk6lI

2 comments:

  1. DUDE. This is indeed an epic song! I'm going to have to find more from these guys because you're right. There is an otherworldly quality to it and the beat and rhythm of it just ZINGS through your blood.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Next time I'm on MSN, I'll see what I can do for you.

    ReplyDelete